13 things for 2013

Since I finally finished the post I wanted to write about what happened in the year 2012 I decided I also wanted to think ahead to 2013. We're a few days in and so far so good on some of the things I'd like to do, but I think having it written down (or typed) somewhere will be a useful reminder. 

Obviously, some these things listed below are more important than others, but in no particular order these are the things I hope to accomplish during 2013...


  1. Read. It is my goal (and plan) to read through the Bible (I'm currently using a chronological plan provided by our church. If you're interested in a reading plan please comment on this post and I'd be happy to pass along some options. Our church provided several this year.)
  2. Pray. Be more intentional in my prayer life. I want to be consistent and another goal is that when I say to someone I will pray for something that I will follow through and devote time in prayer to that situation on their behalf. (Just after writing this I stumbled on a blog post by Kevin DeYoung that gives a strategy on how to pray using Scripture. Check it out here.)
  3. Slow down. I need to stop filling every weekend (and weeknight) with things that keep us busy. This is mostly for my husband, which makes it high on my priority list. I have got to stop saying 'yes' to everything.
  4. Invest. I want to invest in the lives of as many of our students in a one-on-one manner as possible. I realize it's not possible for me to spend an equal amount of one-on-one time with each of these ladies I love, but I want it to be my aim to know these girls better this year.
  5. Hospitality. I have a cleaning schedule in place, which I have loosely stuck to, but I couldn't emphasize the word loosely strong enough. I want that to change. I want our home to be tidy and inviting and a place that first and foremost my husband can be proud of and comfortable in. I also want it to be a place where people feel welcome.
  6. Laundry. Oh, laundry. As simple as this sounds it is my goal in 2013 to fold laundry right when it comes out of the dryer. No more wrinkles! 
  7. Cooking. This area of my life has become much more enjoyable over the last 8 months we've been married. Granted, I still have plenty of material to use on my 'Adventures in Cooking' page in terms of kitchen blunders, but I feel much more comfortable in the kitchen and a lot more confident in my cooking ability. I'd like to try to be consistent this year and also try new things in the kitchen.
  8. Missions. I should have an opportunity to do missions this summer with our youth group, but I'd like to be more missions minded. I want to be aware of the least of these right here in my town and try to serve them well.
  9. Memorize. I am part of the Siesta Scripture Memory Team of 2013 through Living Proof Ministry. The 'SSMT 13' page on this blog explains what that is and how you too can be involved. Basically, it is a team of women around the world who have committed themselves to memorizing 24 verses/passages of Scripture this year. I have started in Colossians 1:9-10 and am unsure of where God will lead next, but by the end of 2013 I pray my mind and heart are packed with God's Word.
  10. Exercise. At the beginning of 2012 I had a great motivator for exercise - a soon-to-be husband (and a wedding dress to fit in). I worked out each day after school for about 20-30 minutes and I noticed changes! I felt better, I lost weight and inches, I was overall healthier. It was great. I want that again for a number of reasons.
  11. Handwriting. Yeah, all the ones above have been relatively serious, but this one not so much. I have always wanted to be able to able to write (well) with my left hand. Maybe this will be the year!
  12. Spanish. I WANT TO LEARN SPANISH SO BAD. 
  13. Water. I want to drink more water and less sugary drinks.
If you have read this post I believe it gives you the right to ask me how I'm doing as I try to accomplish these things this year. One of the many things I love about blogging - it provides some good accountability.

What about you? Have you committed to anything for 2013? I'd love to hear about it! Feel free to leave it in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

making a not-so-joyous thing, a joy

the early days

psalm 46:10