James 4:14

Not sure what to title this one so I just started typing. We'll see what comes to mind by the end.

So, I just finished a novel by James Patterson called Suzanne's Letters to Nicholas. Great read. I think I may have to recategorize myself from "not a reader" to "good-book lover". I don't feel it necessary to call myself an avid reader quite yet because I still need the book to hook me by about chapter 3 to be willing to stick it out, but I am starting my third book in a matter of two weeks, which is completely abnormal for me! Who knows maybe some day my self given title will change again.

Anyway, the prompt for me wanting to write this post comes from a section of that book. I'm warning you now if you feel the need to read the book yourself you may want to stop reading this post now because I'm about to give away the ending. Suzanne, the book's namesake, dies suddenly at the end and to add to it her one year old baby boy, Nicholas, dies in the accident with her. In some ways you see it coming and in other ways it's a shock, but regardless of whether you had the forsight to know the ending the thing that got me was how much the man (Suzanne's husband, Matt) spoke of how fragile life is. I know this. I am aware of the vapor-like beings we are, but for some reason this really hit me today.

The character was young, blissfully happy in her marriage, and enjoying every moment of motherhood. While I am under no illusions that this is how things are all the time in real life and that it was just a fictional story, I do relate to her in a few ways. I am young, blessed to have a husband who loves the Lord and loves me, and while we are not yet parents I do have the hope of that when God sees fit. Life is good. I am blessed.

What was most striking to me and what has had me thinking since finishing the book earlier in the day is something the character, Suzanne, said in the book. She had heart disease, experienced a major heart attack in her 30's and as a doctor was well aware of the fragile nature of her life. She knew she could die at an earlier age due to her weakened heart. Yet she came to the realization that she had this false sense of security because of the fact that everything was going so right in her life. Husband, son, job, social life, friends, family, etc. ...all great, which led her to the false belief that nothing bad would happen - how could it? was her question. I think I am plagued with this same false sense of security.

Don't get me wrong, I know in my head and believe in my heart that God alone knows the number of my days and that I am in no way in control of my life on this earth. I think though that I find security in the fact that I have a good marriage, a great church, the hope of children, wonderful family in both mine and Matt's, amazing friends to share life with, and I could go on and on. Am I under the impression that just because life is going well for me that I will live a long, healthy life continuing to enjoy these blessings?

This post is more of a way to express these thoughts and process them more than something that I have any sort of answer to. I need to be reminded that I am simply a vapor, a mist as it reads in the ESV.
Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time then vanishes. James 4:14 ESV
Pleae Lord, help me remember this. Help me know that while yes, you have blessed me immeasurably it gives me no more security or guarantee of long life here on this earth and that my true treasure is found in you alone. What a hard thing to remember when I am surrounded by things (people) here who I love. Help me keep my eyes fixed on you. Help me enjoy these blessings in my life while they're here because their lives are just as fragile as my own. Thank you for them. Thank you for trusting me with them. Help me steward these relationships wisely and always be grateful for their presence in my life. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

making a not-so-joyous thing, a joy

the early days

psalm 46:10