God is faithful - 2012

I must warn you, this post has the potential to become lengthy. I mean, cut me some slack....it's covering the span of entire year *smile*.

I had wonderful intentions of sitting down on Decemer 31, 2012 to type out a post about the year 2012 in the life of me (pre-marriage) and us (post-marriage). Life happened, I (as usual) got busy and that didn't happen. Then I thought, oh well I'll do it on January 1, 2013 - that seems fitting. Yeah well, this plan was foiled by the fact that I am now old and do not handle staying up all night well anymore. It's a harsh reality to finally realize you're not only not in college anymore, but that what is even more true is your body cannot handle the same lifestyle it once led. Our youth group had a lock-in to bring in the new year and I thought I'd be fine. Um, no! I had to sleep all day Tuesday just to try and recover and even at that had no energy when I woke up (at 4:30 pm), which is why this post is being typed a couple days late. Okay, enough about that because that's another post coming as soon as I get a few minutes to write about it.

As I sit here, a few days in to 2013, thinking back over the time God gave me in the year 2012 I am filled with thoughts that both warm me and sadden me, I have feelings of both joy and sorrow, I remember times of both growth and stagnancy. One word resonates in my heart and mind though. Gratefulness. Gratefulness is the thought that overwhelms me as I remember what God has done in my life over the 365 days that we call 2012. 

The best way I can think to organize my thoughts is month by month. Some I'm sure will be lengthier than others, but all will surely be fun (for at least me) to look back on.

January brought in a new year with new and exciting things to look forward to. Wedding planning was in full swing and Matt and I were awaiting May 5 with much anticipation. I had ushered in the new year at Extreme while Matt was in Bowling Green. We were both asked to start our pre-marital counseling by filling out a survey (a long one by the way) separately, which would guide our time with Jeff as we prepared for marriage. January also brought some sorrow and quite a bit of learning. While I'm not quite sure this is the time or place to share every detail of what that sorrow was I am confident in sharing with you that it brought about the evidence of grace in my life. God is so good. I have never learned that more than in this situation. I experienced grace from my Heavenly Father and from those in my life who I shared this with. It was a difficult situation to go through, but like all things it brought glory to God and was good for me in the end. I ask that you not allow your mind to wander to far down the road of trying to figure out what I'm talking about, really for your own sake. I know my tendency to assume always leads me to stories built in my mind that are almost never anywhere near the actual situation. I do, however, ask that you remember God's grace in your own life. Remember the weight of your sin and the price that had to be paid for it and be grateful for the grace of your Heavenly Father and those in your life who love him. Confess your sin to him and expect His faithfulness. That is what January taught me.

February at the moment is not a stand out month for things that happened. I've been searching for my old calendar because I cannot for the life of me remember back to the ins and outs of what happened in this month (or the next for that matter!). I do know we had our annual Valentine's Day Banquet at church where we saw a great Tim Hawkins video about the differences between boys and girls - we still quote it to this day. We also played a game at that banquet where the men (from each couple in the room) had to bring their wife up on stage and give their best pick up line...oh the laughs that were a result of that.

March hmmm.....March. My dad's birthday is in March and so is Lily's. I'm sure we were fully focused on the wedding - that did seem to take up most of my time for the first 4 months of the year. Man...I really can't think of anything major from March. If something significant happened that I am forgetting that as a reader you are offended by please extend some grace to me and my faulty memory. It's not because I didn't enjoy it or don't value our time together...my memory is just that bad.

April was another full month. The wedding was just around the corner and plans were being finalized. We had my bachelorette party, which was so well planned by several women I can so thankfully call friends. We had a get together at Sarah Gibbs' apartment and the typical bachelorette gifts were given, which proved once again how easily my face turns red. It was fun though! Then we went to Wild Horse Saloon in Nashville for some line dancing and what fun that was! April also brought a new baby into our lives. Even though Matt and I weren't technically married yet I claimed her just the same. Matt's oldest brother Greg and his wife Ashley welcomed sweet Athaiah to their family and ours. 

May was the month that changed my life. The story of Matt's pursuit of me culminated in our vows to each other on May 5. It was a day of celebration and rejoicing with those we love. We made a commitment to the Lord and to each other that day and the rest of 2012 was spent continuing our commitment as will be whatever time the Lord gives us on this earth. What a joyous thought that is! I am crazy about that man!! As I type this at the end of the year that was spent mostly as a new wife I can honestly say I love being married!

June marked what I did not know at the time was my final Ichthus Festival. The Ichthus Committee (which we actually refer to more appropriately as the Ichthus Family) came together at the festival for what would be our last one. The festival was a success in so many ways and God did amazing things in the lives of His people and in the lives of those who became His during the course of that week. The Deaf ministry grew and flourished that week under the teaching of John Graham and leadership of Gay Woloschek, Brian Cross, Janet Noel, and Isaias Solomon. It was a fun, exhausting, joyous, full week. Despite the week's success, Ichthus had to make the decision (later in the year - in December) to shut its doors. Who knows what God has in store for each of us who were part of that ministry, but I know how incredibly grateful I am for each person I served with and for even being given the opportunity to be part of Ichthus.

July......can you say honeymoon?! That's right, we were on our honeymoon in July in beautiful Alaska. It was such a great week. I'm so glad we waited (even though it's not like it was really an option to go any sooner) to go instead of jetting off right after our wedding. We had time to be rested before we went and we also had a couple months to build up even more anticipation! We cruised north from Vancouver and saw some beautiful things. We stopped in several Alaskan cities that were great. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time. I would say it was a once in a lifetime experience, but we really hope to go back! I also celebrated my 26th birthday (on the last day of our honeymoon) and I can't think of a better way to have celebrated.

August marked the beginning of my second year in the school system here in Warren County. I interpret in the 8th grade, which keeps life oh so interesting each day. I love it. My co-workers are fabulous and the kids are great (most of the time, *grin*). August was also the beginning of our time together on Sunday nights with our small groups. I lead a group of precious 9th grade girls. I've seen them grow and become hungry to be more like Christ. It is one of the great joys of my life to get to be a part of theirs. We also celebrated two people I love - my amazing husband and my great friend Kelli. Their birthdays are on the 29th. It's fun for me to get to celebrate them both on that day! On a lighter note, Matt and I had a yard sale that was successful...$158 profit if I am remembering correctly!

September was moving month and oh the joys that came with that, ha! Matt and I moved from our townhouse to the house we now rent. Moving was a test for us. We survived it, but it was not the most joyous moment for us and we were glad to have it behind us. We love our house. It allows us to have people over for social stuff, host people in our home who need a place to stay, and gives us plenty of space. 

October was home to the Monster Dash, a lay witness mission in Ohio, Harvest Fest, and a whole lot of reminiscing for me. October marked a year since Matt had shown interest in me (at the beginning of October) and a year since our first date (October 30, 2011). I spent most of the month making Matt roll his eyes at my constant desire to relive every moment from 2011 when he was pursuing me. It was fun for me (and I think at least a little bit fun for him, secretly). God is so faithful and as one of my best friends and mentors says "a lot can happen in a year". On a little bit of a more somber note, October also marked 2 years since my Papaw went to be with Jesus. I miss him so much and wish so badly that Matt could've known him, but he's with his Savior now and there's no sadness in that!

November was kind of a blur. We had our annual girls dinner, which brought together our youth girls and the women-of-all-ages Sunday School class. It was a blast and such a joy to serve these women of all ages. Thanksgiving was spent in Corbin with my family, which was a treat. 

December was full of family, holidays, church family, friends, and just a whole-lotta love! The beginning of December was relatively calm and around the middle it picked up and we are still feeling the effects of a busy few weeks! A good friend came to visit, we had our candlelight service at church, finished up our small group study, traveled to Michigan and Corbin, got to reunite with a group of friends in Michigan who we love as well as in Corbin, and spent New Years Eve up all night with the students of our church. It makes me tired just thinking about it, but it also makes me super happy to look back over the last month of our year and know it was spent well.

Shew....I did it. I finished this post. It was fun writing it and I hope you enjoy reading it. The one thing that is consistent throughout my year and all the years is the fact that God is faithful and so so good. I can't wait to see what he does with Matt and I in the upcoming year! I pray Matt and I live for His glory in 2013. 

love God. love people. love wins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

making a not-so-joyous thing, a joy

the early days

psalm 46:10