Christmas in Michigan

This past Friday Matt and I set off for a much anticipated trip north! We got on the road earlier than usual and despite the wind throwing us all over the road we made it in record time. The trip was a little rough on Matt because of some nasty back pain - any prayer for him would be much appreciated - so God gave me the grace to stay awake, somehow! Usually I am in the passenger seat, cozied up, snoozing by the time we hit Dayton and it's "good luck Matt" for the rest of the trip. This time however, we plugged away and God kept me awake. Part of this new found alertness can be attributed to the fact that I was so tense from white-knuckling the steering wheel because of the wind that I could barely even feel my hands much-less be comfortable enough to fall asleep. Grateful though because it meant Matt could squirm around trying to find a comfortable position and try and get some much needed rest. Okay, enough about that.

We arrived and went straight to bed considering it was one o'clock in the morning and all in the house were asleep.

8 am came quickly, but Matt and I were ready to hop out of bed and start the day with all the people that fill his childhood home with love. Grandma and Grandpa Arnold, mom & dad, Kevin, Aaron, Robin, Lily, Adam, and Luke were ready to greet us as well! (Let me just say the only thing that could've made this any better would have been having Matt's oldest brother Greg and his sweet family Ashley, Eli, Athaiah, and baby T with us - we missed you guys big time!)

Robin playing beautiful music - so talented
Playing WII with Lily
Saturday went by quickly. We played outside (in the SNOW!), good friends came by - Bobby & Lora and baby Hank, Alex & Nerissa, and the Kozler family. It made for a full house, which of course if you know me at all you know that just feeds my soul - I love it!
The group playing Ticket to Ride

Sunday was spent at church, worshipping with mom and dad's congregation. We sang and heard testimony after testimony of what Jesus means to those in the audience. It also meant more time with the Kozlers, which is always a welcomed treat! Sunday afternoon I got to try Arabic food for the first time at a place called Le Marsa (I think). It was good...chicken shawarma is delicious!
Lily made two scarves for people this year.
Both turned out great!

Monday - Christmas Eve - was again full of family visitors. Grandma and Grandpa Turley came, Aunt Melanie and Sydney, Uncle Jeff and Aunt Monica with Jarod and Sam...again a full house! We celebrated Christmas together, enjoyed each other's company and had a wonderful time. There was more snow, which was a great thing for this Kentucky girl who hasn't seen snow yet this season. It was a great night playing games, talking, opening presents, and above all enjoying the blessings we have in Christ while remembering the gift that He was all those thousands of years ago.
Me with Adam (pointing) and Luke. Such sweet boys!
Luke and his wiggly tooth - we were so hoping
it would come out while we were there!
Matt was even offering a dollar to
whatever kid could get it out of him!

Matt and his mini-me Adam and sweet Lily
Me and Robin
From top to bottom: Adam, Sam, Luke, Matt and Kevin
We played a homemade version of Headbands.
Kevin, Adam, and Grandpa Turley.
Me and my sweet husband
Tuesday, it's Christmas! Christmas morning at the Turley home is quite eventful simply because of the sheer number of people! A few of the kids are still young enough to be in the stage where they can barely sit still from the excitement of opening presents, which is so much fun for the rest of us to watch. The fact that Matt and I didn't get up until 7:30 nearly killed them! Although, we were up and at 'em pretty early and eagerly - I've never seen Matt jump out of bed that fast, ha! We spent our last day outside in the snow sledding and playing driveway hockey. The evening was spent playing cards, enjoying our gifts and each other, eating a fantastic meal, and watching Elf. By the time Elf was over we were all spent and each of us headed to bed. The end of another good day.
Christmas morning, using one of their
Christmas presents, Blokus!

My northern man going back to his roots,
shoveling snow
Our youngest hockey player, Luke
Dad working hard on the maze-ball and mom all
tuckered out after a long, fun day
He finally got it! This was definitely, as mom called it,
the "present of the year"
Wednesday morning marked the beginning of our last day in Michigan. We had biscuits (homemade by my insanely talented brother-in-law Kevin) and gravy with eggs (made to order by dad). Delicious! Now I remember why I kept asking Kevin for cooking lessons as a wedding present! Wednesday morning went by much too fast, but we enjoyed what little time we had left with them. By noon we were packed and loading the car. With hugs and 'I love yous' we got in the car for our drive home. The snow proved a little bit bothersome while we worked our way through Michigan and Ohio, but by the time we hit Kentucky all was clear and we made our way back home to BG. On the way though we stopped at Cabela's and Applebees (courtesy of Uncle Jeff and Aunt Monica, thank you!). Our road trip home just like all our road trips thus far was fun. I love my husband and love that I just enjoy being with him - in the car or wherever. Oh and I can't forget to say my man drove us all the way home knowing that I do not like driving in snow or rain. He's so great.

It was once again a blessed and enjoyable time in Michigan. Now we get to look forward to doing it all again with family in Corbin tomorrow! Thank you Lord for all you've given us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

making a not-so-joyous thing, a joy

the early days

psalm 46:10