Christmas at the Turley's: a new tradition

December 15 was a GREAT day in the year 2011. I gave my first Christmas present to Matt (right after Thanksgiving) and we were able to enjoy the fruits of that in Nashville on the evening of the 15th. His present last year was Detroit Redwings hockey tickets. The more exciting part of that night was that I also got my first Christmas present from Matt - an engagement ring and the sweetest (most unexpected) proposal. A (little over a) year has passed since that day and it could not have been a more joyous year for us.

We set a limit on the gift giving and both of us were confident we could stick to it. Matt had been "dropping hints" almost every time we were in the store I eventually bought his gift from. Don't let me exaggerate too much - we weren't in this store that often, but each time we were he would say "I don't have a hoody and I really need one..." so needless to say my gift decision making process was an easy one this year. For him, it may not have been so easy. I really couldn't recall saying anything about things I'd like or what I might use/enjoy getting for Christmas. Despite this fact, Matt remembered me saying (one time, a while back) that I'd like a robe. Nothing fancy just something comfortable that I could wear around the house. I know, the things I want are very exciting. When I opened my gift and he said he remembered me saying once that I'd like one I was impressed by his attentiveness and memory. That made the not-so-glamorous robe (that I wanted, mind you) and even sweeter gift.

The best part of Christmas for us this year - at least in my opinion - is that I believe we've started a new tradition. In making our plans for the holidays we considered the amount of time off from work, travel time to both Michigan and Corbin, schedules, families, etc. We quickly figured out what we'd be able to do in terms of spending Christmas with each family - and I must add here that we are incredibly blessed by families who are flexible and don't get hung up on the day on the calendar...for both families it's more about just spending time with us that's important. I could not be more grateful for that. So, with family Christmas plans squared away Matt and I needed to decide when we would do our Christmas with each other. After thinking about it for a bit and talking about it here and there it hit me! One night I said we should do it on the 15th because that's when we did it last year! Matt was on board and so that's exactly what we did! Obviously, as a woman I think it's super sweet. Matt on the other hand is find with it and to him it's just another day. I wanted to celebrate one year of being engaged, but in Matt's eyes we've already been married 7 1/2 months so why on earth would we celebrate engagement - which I have to admit makes sense. So, it was a nice way to remember and "celebrate" that day. I believe this may be the new Turley tradition - we'll exchange Christmas gifts for each other on December 15 each year. As silly as it is, this makes me happy.

Matt's hoodie and my robe
(and our little Christmas tree in the background!)

Bonus: house shoes for me for Christmas too!


Have a wonderful and blessed holiday season. 
Celebrate Jesus coming in flesh to save mankind. 
Cherish time with your families and those you love

I would love to hear some of your Christmas traditions...feel free to post them in the comments!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

making a not-so-joyous thing, a joy

the early days

psalm 46:10