a hodge-podge of thoughts

Man, a lot has been going on around here! Time to do a little reflection on what the Lord is doing in mine and Matt's life together. This may be jumbled and random, but I think you'll keep up!

VBS. Oh my. It's right around the corner and things are coming together. We are doing a sports theme this year based on the book "Don't Waste Your Sports" by C.J. Mahaney. It's shaping up to be a good year. With new ideas and new curriculum comes new challenges, but who's not up for a good challenge every once in a while, right? We have excellent people working at VBS this year, as always, and I have no doubt God will accomplish His plan for His glory with those involved. I for one am looking forward to it!

Matt's back. Not like, hey Matt left and now he's back, but his poor lower back and that stinking disc that has decided to rebel against design and slip out of place. Ugh. Watching my poor husband agonize every morning getting out of bed after a restless night and then seeing him come home in that same kind of pain without relief in sight brings me to tears if I think too hard about it. I struggle with knowing whether to pray (beg, really) for relief or pray for our hearts in this time as it's obvious the Lord is teaching us something. I know the "right" answer is both, but let's just face the honest-selfish truth...I pray more for relief for him than anything else. Maybe that in and of itself is my lesson to be learned. The small group I'm in addressed that one night as we study Colossians. Maybe the Lord is getting my attention to really drive that point home. I hope I learn it quicker than I feel I am because it seems to be at the expense of my husband. I'm sure it's being used for Matt's sanctification as well because let's face it that's just how God works in us, but man...if it's just for me let's hope I get the point quickly and Matt can feel better! 

Pregnancy. It's going great! I really sometimes can't believe that this little guy is growing in me, but then I feel a kick and see my stomach move and that's quite the reality check, ha! It's amazing. Truly a gift from God from day one. I'm 25 weeks and 1 day. Only 14 weeks and 6 days to go, but who's counting, right? 

Growing family. Our sweet niece, Avery Grace, was born yesterday! She was 8 lbs 7 oz and 20 inches long and beautiful! Our brother and sister-in-law, Greg and Ashley, waited to find out what they were having so it was an extra special arrival when not only did baby get here safe and sound, but baby girl! Two babies in one year for Matt's side of the family. Blessed.

Jonathan Creek. Last week I took Oliver to camp! This boy is a traveler even before he gets here! Me, 5 of the best adult chaperones, and 12 beloved middle school students made our way last Sunday to Aurora, KY to participate in the Crossings camp at JCreek. It was wonderful! God worked in the lives of our students and it's such a privilege to get to be part of it. Sometimes I wonder why the Lord has me in student ministry because I feel so ill-equipped, but then I realize that's probably exactly why! When a student comes to you with questions about life, faith, God, boys, tough decisions, family, or anything else under the sun and you have that sinking feeling of oh no, what do I say it's exactly in that moment that I think God rejoices in my dependence on Him. My heart cries out for him to give me the words or just the listening ear that student needs. Grateful that I serve a big God who can handle my cries for help and is faithful to respond.

Friends. So much going on in the lives of our dear friends! Just yesterday our sweet friend Sarah celebrated a birthday. She moved to South Carolina back in February so I didn't get to celebrate with her face to face, but am trusting that it was a great birthday in a new place! Just before camp our friends Jeremy and Kristina got engaged *insert squeal here*! They've been dating since the beginning of the year and we could not be more thrilled for them. God is so good to bring people together (in His time) for His glory. Their marriage is going to be a great showing of His grace. I can't wait for them to get hitched! While I was at camp another dear friend who also now lives several states away got engaged to who I can only trust is a worthy man. Andrea Norris is going to be a wife *insert second squeal here*! Josh Arrowood is a blessed man! Andrea was such a joy and blessing to me during the time God allowed our paths to cross and I know she's the same for those she's gotten to know in Florida. I, again, cannot wait to see the blessing she will be to her future husband. How exciting for our sweet friends!! We also have two new babies in our little community at Rich Pond! Gray Woodall and Gavin Bromer made their entrances into the world not too far apart and are doing great! So excited for these growing families!

A lesson in respect. Interesting how God chooses to remind us as wives of our call to respect our husband's in everything. My little mini-lesson came via a thermostat. Yes, it makes me chuckle a little too, but I really do think these are the little things God uses to teach us rebellious wives a thing or two about our husbands and how they're wired. Now, do I intentionally disrespect my husband? Absolutely not. Do I do it in little way (and let's face it, sometimes big ways) unintentionally? Yes. Matt walked into the house the other day and made notice of the fact that it felt really good. To which I replied "Yeah, I turned the air down a couple degrees because it was so (in my dramatic, whiney voice) hot in here the other day!" He was not thrilled with that and his response to me was "Without talking to me about it?". *Insert sheepish grin here* "Uhhh, yeah. Sorry. I didn't really think much of it." And therein lies the problem. I didn't think about it. My husband is very good with money and tries to make sure we are both good stewards of it. Part of that expresses itself in watching how much we spend on bills and while he wants me to be comfortable in our home there is a point at which good stewardship outweighs comfort. A couple degrees are not going to make or break my comfort and even if it did, really it's good for me to realize that those couple degrees make a big difference when you're cooling a house. I asked him (knowing what the answer would be) if this was a respect issue thing and got the answer I expected. The good thing is, there was no need for this to turn into some big issue or fight, which it didn't. It was just a quick 2 minute conversation, which ended in me tucking this away in my mind as another reminder of how I can respect my husband. God is good and the temperature in our house feels just fine as it is.

Well, I guess that's all I can think of right now. Not that that covers the extent of what's going on in our lives, but I really need to get going around the house! Must. Be. Productive. 

Love someone today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

making a not-so-joyous thing, a joy

the early days

psalm 46:10